The recipe below is just as Holly made it with a substitution for the graham crackers/gluten. Try and out and let us know what you think. We love hearing from you and your ideas are so creative! Enjoy!
Ingredients for Gluten Free Peanut Butter Squares:
1 stick unsalted butter melted
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup natural peanut butter (I used a chunky/crunchy version)
1 cup Rice Chex Mix
1/2 cup almond meal (you can grind plain almonds in food processor or buy it already ground)
2 cups, heaping, GF chocolate chips
dash of salt
- Spray or thoroughly butter a 13x9 inch baking dish or cookie sheet with edges.
- Melt butter in saucepan, remove from heat and pour into a large bowl.
- In a food processor, grind Rice Chex Mix and almonds OR almond meal. Set aside.
- Add the sugar, peanut butter and ground rice Chex Mix and almond meal to the butter.
- Mix well until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Spread the peanut butter mixture evenly in the buttered pan lined.
- Melt chocolate chips using a double boiler or microwave for one minute and then at 30 second intervals until all of the chips are melted.
- Spread the chocolate over the peanut butter layer.
- Let chocolate+peanut butter mixture set (about 20-30 minutes).
- Cut into one inch squares in the pan or dish.
- Keep in the pan. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Carefully lift peanut butter squares out of the pan with a small spatula.
Makes two dozen.
As Holly suggests, the leftover pieces from the pan -- or the chunks that break off -- can be saved in the freezer to use as an ice cream topping. Yum!! What a great idea, Holly!
Almond meal and Rice Chex Mix instead of the graham crackers, for a gluten free version.
Mix peanut butter, sugar and butter together then add Rice Chex and almond meal.